Thursday 10 October 2013

eyebrows...or the lack thereof - my threading story

I should have really blogged about this a while ago rather than now as it happened a few months ago but I thought I would talk about it now anyway!


For ages I had wanted to have my eyebrows threaded. I just really like the clean look of it and the fact that the hairs take longer to grow back than when you pluck them. I was pregnant with Caleb when I first decided that I wanted to get it done but I'd heard that your skin is more sensitive when you are pregnant. Being as though getting them threaded is meant to hurt quite a bit, I decided that maybe I should wait until post-baby!

Naturally, I guess you could say that I have pretty big eyebrows. I am half South American (my Dad was from Guyana but his family are all Indian when you go further back) and I think I inherited my eyebrow size from him! They've never been particularly dense eyebrows, just big! I started plucking my eyebrows when I was a teenager and I am always so grateful that I never got into the trend of plucking your eyebrows until they were practically one strand thick, a trend that seemed to be pretty popular in the 90s! I've never done a bad job of plucking them, I think they've looked okay but a couple of months ago I decided to bite the bullet and get them threaded.

Problem 1: I kind of did it on a whim. Even though I'd wanted to get my eyebrows threaded for ages, I was out in a shopping mall one day, walked past a place where they were handing out leaflets and so I just went and got it done! I should have been wary when the girl who sat down to thread my eyebrows had the aforementioned 90s brow.

Problem 2: In order to get the exact kind of brow shape I want would involve my eyebrows to grow back to their full thickness and to pretty much start again. Even though I had tried to grow them back, they were pretty patchy and so I should have known that this would be slightly problematic in getting my ideal eyebrow shape!

Problem 3: It hurts! Although that's not really a problem because I didn't actually think that the pain was all that bad, contrary to what a lot of people say.

Problem 3: When I hear the words "I've raised the height of them to get a straighter line". Um, what? When I looked in the mirror, I looked permanently startled. It was not the best look in the world. I don't think anyone can rock that look.

Problem 4: I like big eyebrows. I know it's the fashion lately and while I like to look nice, I don't think I'm really a slave to trends, but I just think they look good. I love Lily Collins' eyebrows.


So why oh why, when I like big eyebrows, would I even choose to get them threaded in the first place?!

It was a fun experience getting my eyebrows removed threaded. I liked the cleanness of the look and I kind of liked the shape, if only there were more there! Since that horrible threading experience I grew them back a bit more (which took a while - one of the blessings and curses of threading!) and went and got them threaded again. I went to a different place the second time and they did a good job, I was fairly pleased with how they looked. I've stopped getting them threaded now, or at least for now. On me, you could see too much exposed skin underneath the eyebrow and I just don't like that look, it doesn't suit me. I won't get back my natural shape because I don't think they'll grow back to that extent, but I've decided that it's going to be me and my trusty tweezermans from now on!

5 comments:

  1. Ouch. I'm sorry but I hyave this theory that I'm not going to pay someone money to inflict pain on me. Call me old-fashioned but if I'm paying for some pampering, it has to be pain-free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lin, I'm with you on this one. PAIN ! and pay for it ???? Kirsty my Darling, you always look stunning so forget about threading !! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh! I got my eyebrows waxed recently and the girl who did it had GORGEOUS eyebrows --- I will forevermore judge whether or not I'll be paying someone to sort out my face by how theirs looks!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is the best blog for threading service really helpful post thanks for sharing this and also i wanna suggest you one site for threading

    http://www.newlookdayspaandlaser.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Info! There are many people who wish to get the beautiful look so they use beauty salon services.

    Herbal Facial in Valley Stream | Bridal Makeup in Valley Stream

    ReplyDelete