Monday 31 August 2015

The crazy hair cut experience

So if you've read the blog before or if you have met my youngest son, Levi, you will know that he has a lot of hair! When I had a scan at 38 weeks, one of the first things the sonographer said to me is, "your baby has lots of hair!". I didn't even know you could see things like that on a scan! But indeed, when Levi was born just a few days later, he had a tonne of black hair. Even though I knew he would have hair, I wasn't quite anticipating that much!

This was Levi just a few hours old....
and this is him at 8 weeks old. Check out that hair!
He is seven months old and he has 7 haircuts in this time! I have always used scissors in the past and that has done the job. He always used to stay pretty still owing to the fact that he was a younger baby and didn't really move around that much so it wasn't a very difficult job. (I know that if you're a hairdresser and you're reading this, you are probably cringing right now that I cut his hair myself. Seriously, I have so much respect for you all because I am so hopeless at it and I clearly have no idea what I am doing, as was evidenced by the rather visible chunk I took out of his hair a couple of months ago!). This is a picture of him after his first haircut when he was just three months old....


I cut his hair a couple of weeks ago and I decided to use the clippers on him for the first time. I thought I would use the clippers because it is harder to mess up and now that Levi is a bit older and his hair is thicker, it is a lot more noticeable when I go wrong! (notice that I said when and not if there?!)  I know that Caleb absolutely hates clippers - he cries so much, so I have started to take him to the barbers just because I refuse to cut his hair anymore! I thought that given that Levi is a lot younger, I would try it out on him then as he gets older and I cut it with clippers he will be so used to it that it won't be a big deal. To be honest, I would probably take him to the barbers as well but being as he can't even sit up on his own yet I am not sure if they would cut his hair!

I sat him on his bumbo seat on the kitchen table, put a coverall on him and got the clippers out. He looked a little unsure at first but didn't really react. I thought to myself, this is perfect, it's going to be so easy and he doesn't even care that I'm doing this. Five minutes later, he was screaming the place down. Levi doesn't really cry much at all but seriously, he was screaming so much, sobbing with tears rolling down his cheeks! I felt like the worst mother in the world. I stopped for a minute to cuddle him and comfort him but I was past the point of no return and I had to carry on. A mullet on anyone is never a good look, let alone on a bubba.

I continued on with the clippers and as I continued, so did the crying! We were both so relieved when I was finished. I bathed him, gave him some milk and then we sat and cuddled for a while. I'm not sure which one of us needed the comfort the most; him or me! Here are pictures of him after his haircut. The one of him in the stripes was taken on the same day. I was pretty relieved to see him smiling after the trauma of the haircut, I tell you!



So even though his hair ended up looking a lot better than when I use the scissors, I'm not really sure what I will do in the future to cut it. I think maybe we will be making a trip to the barbers after all!

post signature
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. It will be Christmas soon, so "Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow" !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! I can't believe he has had so many haircuts already. It's so neat how they are all so different. My little one who is almost one is still working on getting all his in! I don't fathom a haircut anytime soon. But you did an awesome job! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete